Dirt Detective Archaeology Educational Program
Everyone who participates in this program becomes a Dirt Detective!
Archaeology is the study of material remains of cultures. Archaeologists use what has been left behind by a particular culture – such as buildings, books and other writings, tools, and trash to learn about that culture.
This program could include any of the following topics during your visit:
• What is Archaeology?
• What it takes to become a Dirt Detective
• Artifacts vs Eco-facts
• Trash or treasure
• Pre-dig fundamentals
• Grids and documenting your findings
• Digging, sifting, identifying and cataloging
On Site Activities:
• Digging in earth
• Identifying what you found
• Cataloging items
• Group discussion about findings
• Pass around unique items for discussion
“I was amazed at how much the tour guide knew”
– Shannon – St Augustine,